As 2024 begins, do a quick check on some of the basic items in your vacation rental.
Here are some key points to check:
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Ensure they're functional and batteries are fresh.
- Fire Extinguishers: Accessible and up-to-date fire extinguishers in key areas. **Buried deep in a kitchen cabinet doesn't count!
- First Aid Kit: Stocked with essentials and easily accessible.
- Emergency Exits: Clearly marked and unobstructed. Here is some additional information on egress requirements in NH.
- Security Features: Check locks on doors and windows. Also, make sure exterior lighting is working.
- Safe Electrical Wiring: Inspect for exposed wires or overloaded sockets.
- Child Safety: If applicable, provide safety gates, outlet covers, and secure furniture.
- Pool/Area Safety: If there's a pool, ensure it has proper fencing and safety equipment.
- Local Emergency Information: Provide guests with local emergency contacts and hospital locations. Make sure the home address is also listed in the property & clearly visible on the exterior.
- Maintenance Check: Regularly inspect for any hazards like loose railings or slippery surfaces.
Here are a couple pictures of the Life Safety Self Inspection Checklist from the town of Conway.